How to Create a Facebook Cover Video to Wow your Visitors
Have you noticed that certain Facebook cover photos are moving recently? I promise you it isn’t your eyes playing tricks on you, they are definitely moving! Facebook began to test video covers back in April 2017, and they are slowly but surely rolling them out to all pages.
Just for some insight, here is Facebook’s explanation about the decision to introduce animated covers:
“We’re always looking for good ways to help businesses create more engaging experiences and drive more rich experiences for their audiences. To do this, we are testing the ability for pages to upload a cover video as the page cover. By making cover video available, we want to help you create more engaging interaction and drive more rich experience for your audience by letting you spotlight your creative content in one of the most prominent spaces: your Page cover.”
So, what are the benefits of a video cover on Facebook? Well, when a user visits your Facebook Page direct, the cover is the first thing they will see. They will probably start scrolling for content, but that first image or video is a unique opportunity to share a positive first impression. Your Facebook cover tells people who you are, what you do, what you are like, and what your company is all about.
As such, a video cover can offer an even more immersive and engaging way to hook in viewers – for example, you could
- Introduce people to your brand and its people
- Share your latest product offering
- Promote an upcoming sale or event, etc.
So, now you know the benefits of a Facebook video cover, how do you upload one? Well, uploading a new Facebook video cover takes just a few steps, along with some tweaking to make sure it looks as good as it can be. You can choose to feature a previously uploaded video or upload a new one. My preference would be to build and upload a video that is custom made for your cover; one that will inspire fans and also meet Facebook’s best practises. Here is a simple and quick step by step for both options:
Choose from Videos
- Hover over your cover photo and choose “Change Cover” – “Choose from Videos”
- Select a video that you have previously uploaded to your Page and click “Confirm”
- Drag your video around in the cover area until it is positioned as you like, then click “Next”
- Use the arrows to go through the video thumbnails until you find one you want to use as the first frame. Also, choose here whether you want the video to loop or not
- Once everything is as you like, click “Publish”
- Hover over your cover photo and choose “Change Cover” – “Upload Photo/Video”
- Select a video stored on your computer
- Once it is uploaded, drag it to
re-positionthe video up or down as desired, then click “Next”
- Scroll through the video thumbnails until you find a thumbnail that you want to use as the first frame. Also choose here whether you want the video to loop or not
- Click “Publish”
We will now take you through some of Facebook video cover best practise and tips.
- Facebook recommends uploading a video with a resolution of at least 820x312 pixels, but 820 x 456 pixels is ideal
- Videos can range in length from 20-90 seconds, and as noted in the previous step, you have the option to make them loop
- When people visit your Page, the cover video will start playing automatically
- The video will play with the sound muted, so consider how your video will be received with and without audio. There is a mute/unmute option in the lower right-hand corner of the cover video
So, that was our blog on how to create a Facebook video cover, as well as a few tips on how to improve the video. I hope you found this informative, and if you are interested in social media, check out our website.